• Wed., Jul. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Aug. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Aug. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Chris Cooley's Busted Lip In Terrifying HD

Posted by Matt Terl on September 29, 2010 – 9:44 am

If you watched video of Chris Cooley‘s comments at yesterday’s anti-obesity event at the Capitol, you might have seen him make reference to his busted-up lip. You might also have noticed the injury in the frighteningly close-up photo that ran on the DC Sports Bog under the headline “Redskins, looking miserable”, and wondered exactly what happened to his face.

I asked Cooley exactly that yesterday, on video to get the clearest depiction of the busted lip, and in HD so I could zoom in for an even MORE extreme close-up of said lip, which Cooley describes here as “scabby and gross”. Enjoy!

Here’s some of the high points, for those of you who elected not to watch, and one clarification for those who did:

On his earlier facial injury:

“My nose, which is starting to heal but keeps getting broke open, happened about three weeks ago in practice. I hit — it was actually Albert Haynesworth — I hit him and the front of my helmet came down and smashed in my nose real hard and it cut it open, peeled the skin off. And then it just keeps happening. Because the helmet, even if it comes down not-as-hard, it breaks it back open and then healing process: ruined.”

On the busted lip:

“My lip is actually a lot better today. The last play of the [Rams] game, I got hit in the legs and my legs came out from under me, and I think I landed pretty much on my chin. I braced the fall with my face. My lip’s pretty sore, but my teeth really are sore, and my jaw feels bad, and I’ve had a pretty consistent headache for the last two days, so: not the greatest thing, but it’s kind of all the deal.”

A clarification, for neurotic fantasy football players and other humorless types:

Cooley says, “I wouldn’t be surprised if Shanahan listed me as questionable on the roster.” This is a joke. Do not panic, and do not bench Cooley in your fantasy league.

Tags: