• Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 2:55 PM - 3:15 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Levi's Stadium before the Redskins vs. 49ers game on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 7:55 PM - 8:25 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 8:25 PM - 8:55 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.

WHL: John Beck Plays The Piano

Posted by Matt Terl on August 20, 2010 – 1:11 pm

As the players stood queued on the stairs at the annual Welcome Home Luncheon, dressed to the nines in their suits and fidgeting as they waited to be introduced, quarterback John Beck slipped to the top of the stairs, edged past a few confused ushers and took a seat at the largely ornamental-looking piano. After a few false starts and some plinking around, the opening bars of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” began to play.

I thought it might be a Joey Harrington type situation, a backup QB’s with a hidden talent as a concert pianist. That turned out to be a little larger than the truth.
“I really like that song on the piano,” Beck says, “so I went on YouTube, typed in ‘Learn how to play the intro to Don’t Stop Believin’ and there you go.”

He shrugs. “I can play a couple of other things, but I’m not a pianist. I took piano for, like, two months as a kid, and I hated it so I quit.”

Given the reason that he quit, it turns out to have been a reasonable decision. “When I had to drive to the lessons, all my buddies were outside playin’ baseball and football,” Beck says, “and I was like, ‘Mom, forget this, I don’t wanna play piano while my buddies are playing.’ In the end, all I wanted to play was Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey, and I still did. So that worked out okay.”

Yeah, and playing football turns out to have been a more effective use of his time — from a career perspective, it probably took Beck a bit farther than the piano would’ve.

Tags: ,