• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media after practice at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, November 28, 2014.

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Lucas Oil Stadium before the Redskins vs. Colts game on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 30, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, November 30, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Chief Zee Gets A New Headdress

Posted by Matt Terl on August 13, 2010 – 7:07 pm

Redskins superfan Zema Williams, better known as Chief Zee, has been wearing one version or another of his trademark headdress since 1978 The headdresses were made for him in Oklahoma by a company that’s since gone out of business, and, Chief Zee says, “I was on my last him.”

Enter Redskins superfans Huly and Pez from Extremeskins. They came to know Dewey McMahon through his Kitchen Wizard business and realized that he might be able to help solve the problem. It took 62 hours, McMahon says, but he succeeded.

Huly and Pez provided McMahon with one of Zee’s crumbling old headdresses, and McMahon took it from there. The beaded headpiece, McMahon says, “is the only thing I saved off the other one. Everything else is from my lifetime and stuff like that. The inside, that’s a football I played with when I was 16 years old.”

“That way,” Chief Zee says, “it won’t tear when it gets wet, ’cause … well, it’s a football.”

Another piece of the souvenir ball is on the outside of the headdress, and the other side features a 21 in memory of the late Sean Taylor. “I put my own original twist on some of it,” McMahon says. “The front three feathers symbolize the three Super Bowl wins.”

McMahon is a Bills fan, coincidentally enough, but his girlfriend Penni Walker is a lifelong Redskins fan, and she was thrilled for McMahon and for Chief Zee, even writing about the assignment on their blog.

“He wouldn’t let me in the garage when he was working on that,” she said, “and I prayed that it wouldn’t come out with red and blue feathers.”

It didn’t, mainly because McMahon believes in a brotherhood of football fans that transcends petty team rivalries. “I consider us all a family, man. It means something to me if I tear apart one of my personal footballs to make a hat for somebody else. And this is the first day I ever met him.”

Which, in the end, is why he did it. “Something like this isn’t work for him,” Walker says. “That’s just something cool that he can do for somebody that’s meaningful. “

But even brotherhood and meaningfulness only go so far.

“Hey, sweetheart,” McMahon yells over to Walker, “he just asked me if I left room for a fourth feather in the front!”

Walker laughs. “Of course you did!

McMahon smiles. “No I didn’t,” he says, flatly.

Despite that minor hiccup and a few adjustments that need to be made, Chief Zee seems pleased. “This one will last me until my retirement,” he says.

Tags: ,
Posted in General | 1 Comment »

One Response to “Chief Zee Gets A New Headdress”

1. By paulette on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Would to purchase headdress please email me asap