• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 12:30 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 31, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Chris Cooley Thinks That Chris Cooley Had A Disappointing Morning Practice

Posted by Matt Terl on July 31, 2010 – 2:58 pm

There is a lot of hope and optimism that comes with training camp. All the new schemes are going to work, the new quarterback is going to be worlds better than the last guy, the new coach is going to restore the franchise, the miseries of the past are gone and done. That’s the way the football world looks in July, and that’s a big part of why football is so popular.

That optimistic tone also carries over from the macro level to the micro level. When I’m tweeting from practice, I’m more likely to write “Great catch by Devin Thomas over the middle” than “I wonder if someone should’ve been in better position to defend that.” It’s just part of that whole optimistic training camp THING.

And at some point during training camp, just about everybody gets tired of this and starts looking for a healthy dose of negativity.

Chris Cooley is here to oblige the folks who are already there. Speaking to the media after practice today, Cooley claimed to be his own toughest critic — and then proceeded to prove it.

“I expect a ton out of myself,” Cooley said. “I put a lot of pressure on myself. I honestly believe that I’m my biggest critic. I will go in there right now and watch that whole practice. I’m really not happy with the way I practiced today. There’s always stuff that I feel like I could do better. But I think this offense is going to give me every opportunity to make big plays and most importantly just to help our team.”

Ahhhhh. Bracingly critical. But even Cooley couldn’t dial down the training camp optimism completely:
The training camp schedule is awesome!

Cooley: “I think the practice schedule is great. We have a completely football oriented hard practice in the morning for two and half hours. I lost seven pounds. But it switches to the mental aspect of things. We will walk through some of the mistakes. We will walk through different looks. Obviously our defense is a 3-4 defense and they’re not going to come out and play a 4-3 at camp for us. We’re going to spend some time in the walk though working on different defenses and different looks. I think there has to be something said for that or something to be said for guys staying fresh. But it’s still tough.”

The season is going to be awesome!

Cooley: “I think it’s one of the best things about the NFL. There is optimism on all 32 teams every year, there is always the possibility that anyone can come together and be good. We’re very excited about our football team. We’re very excited about the prospects that the Washington Redskins can be a playoff team. I know our fans are buzzing but guys are buzzing the locker room. Guys are pumped up about being here and we’re ready to win football games.”

The Fred Davis/Chris Cooley combo will be awesome!

Cooley: “I think it makes us very versatile because I truly feel like we’re capable of running the ball well with the two of us in. That sets up play action and along from that you can spread it out and throw the ball. So defenses will have to guess. A big thing that defenses do is see what personnel is in the game and then they can play percentages of what some an offense does. I think we can be 50-50 with everything and that can be a huge advantage for us.”

Mike Shanahan? Awesome.

Cooley: “I’ve been very impressed by the way we practice. I think you never know what you’re going to get when you come into training camp. And I couldn’t ask for anything more from us than to just go out there and run a ton of plays. It’s unbelievable how much of our offense we have installed being here in two days. I feel like we’re two-thirds through. We probably ran 100 football plays out there on the field today. There’s something that you can’t make up for actually running the plays. To actually see them work against the defense. I know that a lot of teams work on individual drills and tackling and all kinds of things but we’re pros and we should be at the point where we should just run plays. I think it is the best way for us to mesh as a team.”

Oh, and that McNabb guy is awesome too!

Cooley: “Donovan has the intangibles of a quarterback. He just does everything that you expect out of your leader. You’re not looking at someone that’s trying to lead this team. You’re looking at a guy that just does it, he takes over. He wants to make plays. He knows what it takes to win and you clearly see that from him. Since the day he got here you could see that from him. We have all enjoyed having him here.”

Still, though, I’m honestly impressed by that one small burst of negativity. That can be tough to muster in late July.

Tags: ,