• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, October 24, 2014.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Another Post Kedric Golston Did Not Approve Of

Posted by Matt Terl on May 25, 2010 – 3:23 pm

Today’s picture of a rookie carrying helmets wasn’t the first thing I’ve done this year that Kedric Golston didn’t approve of. Back when I posted about Mike Sellers trying on Ma’ake Kemoeatu‘s helmet, Golston took issue with that as well.

“You don’t even know the guy,” he told me. “You can’t just write stuff like that without having met someone.” This came after a number of people in the building had mentioned that Kemoeatu had been asking about who wrote the blog.

So I went to Kemo and owned up. I apologized, explained that I have an enormous skull, that my kid has a head that measures in the 95th percentile, that I didn’t mean any offense, so on and so forth for what felt like an hour. Eventually, he stopped being able to keep a straight face, told me it was fine, and that was that.

Still, Golston was still insisting that I had been out of line, even interrupting group media sessions to mention the topic. I, of course, felt guilty about all of this, until Casey Rabach pulled me aside and told me a story about Kemoeatu’s rookie year, when both had been in Baltimore.
“The [Ravens] D-line always gave Kemo [crap] about his helmet,” Rabach told me. “So one day they took a piece of wood dowel about a quarter-inch thick and a few inches long, glued about 20 cotton balls to it so they made up about the size of a softball, and they hung it in the training room for Kimo to clean his ears. They called it ‘Kemo’s Q-tip’.”

Rabach shook his head. “I wouldn’t worry about it,” he said. “Kemo’s a really good dude.”

So far, that has seemed to be an accurate assessment, and — as Kemoeatu says that his rehab is coming along at a good pace — I look forward to seeing what he can do on the field. Larry Weisman recently projected him as the team’s starting nose tackle, and (assuming he gets healthy) I have to concur. Should be interesting.

(See also: Dan Steinberg’s picture of Kemoeatu from today’s D.C. Sports Bog, which is actually what jogged my memory on this anecdote.)

Tags: , ,