• Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Eagles kickoff on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:15 PM EST Live Microsoft Halftime Update Redskins halftime update hosted by Rick "Doc" Walker and Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField during the Redskins vs.Eagles game on December 20, 2014.

• Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Dec. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Cowboys kickoff on Sunday, December 28, 2014.

Kareem Moore Downplays Working With The First Team

Posted by Matt Terl on May 8, 2010 – 3:35 pm

It’s a little tough to see up there, but that’s Kareem Moore on the far left, with LaRon Landry in the background, Rocky McIntosh to the right, and London Fletcher off to the far right. Which is to say, that’s a chunk of the likely first-team defense for your Washington Redskins. Which is further to say that Moore appears to be lining up as the starting free safety.

In fact, Free Lance-Star beat reporter Rich Campbell is putting it this way: “Kareem Moore played free safety with the first-string defense today.”

And Moore told me that he “definitely” feels that he’s improved since the first mini-camp, and he seems worlds more confident than he was in previous years. “I’m more comfortable, you know,” he said. “Going out there, being confident making calls, whether it be the secondary or the linebackers, I’m just goin’ out there doin’ my thing. Period.”

So, I asked him, would it be fair to say that he was in there as the first-team free safety today?

“No,” he said, “not really.”

Well then.
“Me and Reed [Doughty],” he explained, “we just switched up some reps today. Coach just told us we’re going to switch out going with the ones just to see who’s comfortable with each other. It’s just an experiment.”

Moore acknowledges that the competition is “pretty much open,” but says, “I don’t know how they’re judging. You know, they’ve got scales. I dunno. Nobody knows how they got where they’re at or anything.”

But, I pointed out, the general buzz was that he was the purest free safety the team had, and that he might be the most logical guy to start in that spot. Would he say THAT was accurate?

“Not really,” he said.

Well then again.

“Reed, man, he’s got some skills that I wish that I had,” Moore said. “The mental game, him being a technician, there’re certain things that he knows that ain’t on the blackboard. And Reed, man, that guy has perfect footwork, which is something I’m trying to aspire for. A lot of things he does, I try to do, I try to imitate him. I don’t think it’s that I’m some kind of natural out there, man. I just out go out there, try to do my thing, make sure I know my assignments, and make my plays when they come.”

So in a mini-camp season where ProFootballTalk has already noted that “downplaying was a common them on the Redskins defense,” I think it’s safe to say that this would qualify.

Tags: , ,