• Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., May. 01, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., May. 02, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., May. 05, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., May. 06, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., May. 07, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Select Dennis Morris, TE Out Of La. Tech (UPDATED)

Posted by Matt Terl on April 24, 2010 – 1:53 pm

Well, I certainly didn’t see that coming. The Redskins select Dennis Morris, a TE out of Louisiana Tech, with the 174th pick in the draft. The YouTube video embedded above contains exactly everything I know about Morris, and it looks impressive. Then again, it’s his highlight video, so it would be bad news if it DIDN’T look impressive. I wouldn’t have guessed that tight end was a need position, but … well, there you go.

UPDATE #1: Per @RickMaese, “Morris says Redskins tell him he’ll play tight end, fullback and H-back.” So that makes a lot more sense.

UPDATE #2: After the jump, some quotes from Morris’s conference call with Redskins beat reporters.
On being selected by the Redskins:

“It was exciting, a call I’ve been waiting on my whole life and I’m very happy to go to the Redskins. I have to go out on the field and help the team win more games.”

On if he is a tight end, fullback or h-back:

“I talked to Mike Shanahan and he said I’ll probably play all three positions. I feel like I can play all of them since I have been playing all of them since I’ve been in college so it wouldn’t be a change.”

On his size:

“I’m 6-2, 255.”

On his conversations with the Redskins prior to the draft:

“I stayed in contact with the tight ends coach (Jon Embree) and he kept saying they liked me.”

On if he visited the Redskins:

“No, I didn’t come in for a visit. [Embree] came down to see me.”

On his overall strengths:

“I’m pretty fast for my size and I am a good pass catcher. I am pretty aggressive and I like to block. I feel like I can excel as either a true tight end or H-Back.”

On if he felt slighted by not being invited to the scouting combine:

“Yeah, I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get invited, but some of the great tight ends and fullbacks in the league right now didn’t get invited. So I just kept my head up and just kept working. I just worked at it and prayed that I got the call one day.”

Tags: