• Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Raymond James Stadium before the Redskins vs. Buccaneers preseason game on Thursday, August 28, 2014.
  • Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 11:15 PM - 11:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media following the team's preseason game against the Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fl. on Thursday, August 28, 2014.
  • Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:45 PM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players speak to media following the teams preseason game vs. the Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fl. on Thursday, August 28, 2014.
  • Fri., Aug. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Sep. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Sep. 02, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Tuesday, March 2: Darrell Green Discusses His Birthday Jog

Posted by Matt Terl on March 2, 2010 – 9:39 am

When I wrote about DeAngelo Hall’s reaction to Darrell Green’s fiftieth birthday 40-yard-dash, I mentioned that I was a little skeptical of Green’s accomplishment. On reflection, “skeptical” was probably the wrong word; Green has always come across as a fastidiously honest guy, and I certainly didn’t doubt that he had done what he said he’d done. What I wondered, I think, was … well, why?

I haven’t had the chance to ask Green about it yet, but SportsCenter online did, and his answer pretty much boils down to “Because I could.”

Which is fair enough, and also explains why I would ask the question: because where Green could, I certainly couldn’t — and I’m years younger than him. Here’s Green’s full explanation:
“I did it because I was free to do it,” he told the unnamed ESPN cameraman. “I live in America and I can do what I want to do, and I woke up that morning and wanted to do something fun and special — not necessarily for the fans, but for me. It was just something I wanted to do, and I did it. It was pretty fascinating; we put it on Twitter, and people kinda went wacko and bonkers over it.

“But I really didn’t do it for other people. I just did it ’cause … you know, one day — y’all can’t see it, but he’s young behind the camera here — one day you’re gonna be fifty and maybe you’ll do something special [that's] all about you because you’re glad that you woke up that morning.”

Which is actually kind of inspirational. If I get the chance, I hope I can run the 40-at-fifty even half as fast as Green did. I also loved this answer, when asked who would be the toughest receiver for him to cover today:

“At this age? Probably pretty much everybody. If I can cover ‘em, they probably shouldn’t be in the league.”

Hat tip to Mister Irrelevant.

Tags: , ,