• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.

Wednesday, October 28: Someone Else Doesn't Know Why Fred Davis Jumps

Posted by Matt Terl on October 28, 2009 – 4:51 pm

When Fred Davis made a catch during the game Monday night, I mentioned on Twitter that he “really loves to jump in the air for no discernible reason, doesn’t he?” A couple of people agreed with me, and that was that. But the question sort of nagged at me: why DOES Davis seem to jump in the air every time he catches the ball, regardless of field position, down, distance, or any other details like that.

On Tuesday, I finally bit the bullet and asked him, and I’ve got some good news and some bad news.
The good news is that Davis is keenly aware of the bad habit — he started laughing before I even finished the question — and so are his coaches. “Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. They say ‘You shouldn’t do that,'” he said. “They say, ‘Just stay on the ground.'”

But Davis doesn’t stay on the ground. He leaps, especially when large men in the opposing jersey are running at him, and the bad news is that even he doesn’t seem to know quite why. He tried several reasons, though.

• First: “Man. I don’t know, man. When you haven’t been playing for awhile, sometimes you get outta shape a little bit. I feel kinda outta shape right now.”
  • Next: “I mean, it usually worked in college, but you’ve gotta set it up more. I haven’t really been setting it up.”
  • Third: “There’s a way you can do it, though, when they dive at your legs. But they ain’t diving at me; they’re trying to hit me high. So I gotta stop doing that until they start hitting me low.”

In the end, though, it was his final reason that rang the truest: “I didn’t set it up or anything,” he said again. “I just jumped, I don’t know why. I don’t know why I did it.”

The last bit of good news, though, is that Davis — as promised — was in today, working with tight ends coach Scott Wachenheim while the rest of the players were away for the first day of their bye week. Between that and the word from head coach Jim Zorn that Chris Cooley may be back in four weeks, this was a surprisingly good day for news about the Redskins tight ends.

Tags: , , ,