• Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Sat., Dec. 20, 2014 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Eagles game at FedExField on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
  • Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Dec. 23, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Dec. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Dec. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Dec. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Cowboys kickoff on Sunday, December 28, 2014.
  • Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 2:30 PM - 2:45 PM EST Live Microsoft Halftime Update Redskins halftime update hosted by Rick "Doc" Walker and Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField during the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on December 28, 2014.

• Sun., Dec. 28, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at FedExField on Sunday, December 28, 2014.

Redskins @ Lions – Fourth Quarter Thoughts (and Polls)

Posted by Matt Terl on September 27, 2009 – 4:43 pm

I’ll be honest: I’m finding it hard to come up with many articulate, printable “thoughts” about this one.

I think this was a catastrophically bad loss for team that really needed a win — even over a Lions team that wasn’t highly regarded.

I thought the decision to pass up the field goal in the first quarter was questionable at the time, and I hate it even more given how things turned out. Ditto for accepting the penalty on third down to give the Lions another chance.

I thought the hook-and-lateral on the final play was a strange choice — why not at least put the ball in the direction of the endzone? — but I can’t stand that play in general so I’m biased there.

I thought that the problems from previous games — missed tackles, defense not being able to get off the field, dubious playcalling — were still present, right up until the final gun, which is not encouraging.

One thing I did NOT think was that this game reflected particularly badly on Jason Campbell. I thought he repeatedly stood in the pocket, eluded the rush when necessary, and — for the most part — delivered the ball to the tune of 340 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception. Did he do enough to win? Obviously not, by definition. But I have a hard time laying too much of the blame for this loss at his feet. Santana Moss also had that breakout game people were asking for, with 10 catches for 178 yards and a touchdown.

And I think that when the Redskins show up at the bottom of everyone’s power rankings and league ratings and all that this week, I’m not going to be taking any issue with it. This might be the worst loss for the Redskins that I can remember — this or Super Bowl XVIII — and I suspect that the rest of this week is going to be nearly as bad.