• Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Raymond James Stadium before the Redskins vs. Buccaneers preseason game on Thursday, August 28, 2014.
  • Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 11:15 PM - 11:30 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media following the team's preseason game against the Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fl. on Thursday, August 28, 2014.
  • Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:45 PM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players speak to media following the teams preseason game vs. the Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fl. on Thursday, August 28, 2014.
  • Fri., Aug. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Sep. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Sep. 02, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Mike Sellers Apologizes For American Flag Mistake

Posted by Matt Terl on August 29, 2009 – 12:23 pm

%Video-674%

I was on the sidelines during player introductions last night; I saw Mike Sellers run out with the flag, but what happened next was lost in a mass of players and cheerleaders and cameramen and all the other visual clutter you get from that vantage point. So here’s the description from ESPN.com:

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf.

Moments ago, a visibly chagrined Sellers addressed the media about the incident. “It’s been brought to my attention,” he said, “carrying the flag out yesterday that I didn’t put it in the proper spot after carrying it out. I meant no disrepect. My father retired [after] thirty-something years, almost; I grew up as an army brat. I know the conduct when it comes to the flag, and I made a mistake by setting it down the way I did, and I’d like to apologize if I offended anybody out there.

“I was asked to bring it out last-minute, didn’t know who to give it to, got hyped up, and put the flag down. Like I said, if I offended anyone I apologize. That is not me. I grew up in a military background. I know what it is to respect the flag, and I apologize. It was in the heat of the moment.”

For the record: it was clear from hearing Sellers describe the incident, both before and during his speech, that he legitimately meant no offense, and his apology seemed heartfelt.

Tags: ,