• Fri., Nov. 21, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media after practice at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, November 21, 2014.

• Fri., Nov. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 2:55 PM - 3:15 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from Levi's Stadium before the Redskins vs. 49ers game on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 7:55 PM - 8:25 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 23, 2014 8:25 PM - 8:55 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. 49ers game at Levi's Stadium on Sunday, November 23, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Mike Sellers Apologizes For American Flag Mistake

Posted by Matt Terl on August 29, 2009 – 12:23 pm

%Video-674%

I was on the sidelines during player introductions last night; I saw Mike Sellers run out with the flag, but what happened next was lost in a mass of players and cheerleaders and cameramen and all the other visual clutter you get from that vantage point. So here’s the description from ESPN.com:

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf.

Moments ago, a visibly chagrined Sellers addressed the media about the incident. “It’s been brought to my attention,” he said, “carrying the flag out yesterday that I didn’t put it in the proper spot after carrying it out. I meant no disrepect. My father retired [after] thirty-something years, almost; I grew up as an army brat. I know the conduct when it comes to the flag, and I made a mistake by setting it down the way I did, and I’d like to apologize if I offended anybody out there.

“I was asked to bring it out last-minute, didn’t know who to give it to, got hyped up, and put the flag down. Like I said, if I offended anyone I apologize. That is not me. I grew up in a military background. I know what it is to respect the flag, and I apologize. It was in the heat of the moment.”

For the record: it was clear from hearing Sellers describe the incident, both before and during his speech, that he legitimately meant no offense, and his apology seemed heartfelt.

Tags: ,