• Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 3:50 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden talks to the media following  practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, Va. on July 31, 2014.
  • Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Aug. 01, 2014 11:15 AM - 11:45 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference A select Redskins player talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, VA. on Aug. 1, 2014.
  • Fri., Aug. 01, 2014 3:50 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Center in Richmond, VA. on August 1, 2014.
  • Fri., Aug. 01, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 11:15 AM - 11:45 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference A select Redskins player talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, VA. on Aug. 4, 2014.
  • Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 3:50 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden talks to the media following practice at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond, VA. on August 4, 2014.
  • Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Aug. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

Devin Thomas: "Feels Good To Get Back There"

Posted by Matt Terl on August 29, 2009 – 1:13 am

Devin Thomas
was in the locker room looking aggravated. This was not an entirely bad thing — this time, it wasn’t because of his performance in the game, which he graded out at “a solid B,” but because he was standing in an enormous pile of talcum powder.

“Man,” he said, shaking his head, “I’m still getting’ hazed. I don’t know what it is. I’m sure I could find out, but … it’s still happenin’. It’s frustrating.”

Less frustrating, though, was being back on kickoff returns in relief of the injured Rock Cartwright (groin). “It feels good to back there,” Thomas said. “I like that. It’s part of my game that I enjoy. I just try to get up in there and rely on my blocking, so I can hit it hard if it’s open, and if it’s not, lower the shoulder. It’s something I like to do.”

He did it tonight to the tune of three returns for 79 yards, a 26.3 yard average, slightly better than Cartwright’s average for all of last season (25.6). But Thomas isn’t sure if this is something that he’s being considered for for the regular season.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s always something I’ve been on the depth chart for, but obviously Rock’s great at doing it, so I haven’t had a chance. I think it would be best if both of us could get out there, be a dynamic duo back there.”

Thomas also had what amounted to his breakout game as a receiver this preseason. “It felt good just to finally get some balls my way,” he said, shruggin, “get a chance to get some yards after the catch. That’s the strong point of my game, getting the ball and getting yards, so I got a chance to show that today.”

Tags: , , , , ,