• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Thursday, June 18: Hey, Look! A Goofy Brett Favre Rumor

Posted by Matt Terl on June 18, 2009 – 9:48 am

Those of you who have seen me on ComcastSportsNet’s Redskins Nation have probably realized that few things annoy me more than the endless coverage Brett Favre receives. I’m completely sick of it, and if I never heard the name Brett Favre again, it would STILL be too much and I would still loathe him forever.

Those of you who have been following this blog can probably guess that on my 7,342 item list of Things I’m Sick Of This Offseason, “media-driven Redskins quarterbacking controversy” ranks just behind Brett Favre.

So when WJFK’s morning show The Junkies blogged this morning that ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio had suggested that Favre might wind up in Washington, it was pretty much the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup of hatred for me, and I reacted accordingly.

(Chris Mottram over at Mr. Irrelevant tracks the rumor in MUCH greater — and more amusing — detail.)

Then I heard the segment of the Paul Allen show on KFAN radio in Minneapolis where Florio was a guest, which is what started this whole thing. The short takeaway from it? Nothing to worry about. Never mind.

Here, though, to prevent anyone else from having the same reaction I did, is my transcript of what Florio ACTUALLY said on KFAN:

Mike Florio, ProFootballTalk.com: “I do not rule out Daniel M Snyder waking up one morning between now and the end of July and realizing, ‘You know what, we run the West Coast offense, I’ve been trying to get a quarterback other than Jason Campbell, *I* want Brett Favre for a season.’

“Now, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Brett Favre detours at this point, ’cause he’s pretty much locked himself into the Vikings based on what he said to Joe Buck. But — we can’t rule out the possibility of somebody getting involved. Because let’s say there’s another team that would pay him fifteen million for one year, and the Vikings are looking for something far less that. Bus Cook’s in a position — Favre’s agent — to really influence Brett Favre and potentially get him to look in another direction.

“I’m not saying any of that’s gonna happen, Paul. My point is that with Brett Favre, you have to account for the weird screwball unexpected thing, because that’s what we’ve ultimately gotten from this guy for the past, what, three, four years.”

Paul Allen, show host: “But the whole thing is settled now. I mean, it’s … there’s a zero percent chance he even thinks for a second about playing for the Washington Redskins. This is not a money thing. This is a ‘I get a chance to beat Green Bay twice’ thing, and I’m on a division champion that might have a better chance to go to the Super Bowl than maybe the Washington Redskins do. So I don’t think you need to think about that at all.”

Now, I don’t agree with that last bit — Adrian Peterson is great and all, but do the Vikings really have a better chance at the Super Bowl than the Redskins? Really? — but I think Allen nails it here otherwise. Zero percent chance.

Tags: , ,