• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from AT&T Stadium before the Redskins vs. Cowboys game on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 AM - 12:30 AM EDT Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium on Monday, October 27, 2014.
  • Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Larry Michael LIVE from TCF Bank Stadium before the Redskins vs. Vikings game on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday, November 2, 2014.

On January 22, Kiper Says: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

Posted by Matt Terl on January 22, 2009 – 1:20 pm

ESPN is gleefully hyping Mel Kiper’s mock draft, which I suppose marks their official start of NFL Draft season. I find the last two picks of the draft the most interesting — someone at ESPN has apparently determined that the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl, but that the Cardinals will continue their ongoing transformation into Pittsburgh Southwest by drafting Pitt running back LeSean McCoy.

What affects the Redskins, though, is what Kiper has going on in his top 13.

Mel Kiper’s Top 13:

1. 1) Detroit – Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
  2. 2) St. Louis – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
  3. 3) Kansas City – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
  4. 4) Seattle – Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
  5. 5) Cleveland – Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
  6. 6) Cincinnati – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
  7. 7) Oakland – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
  8. 8) Jacksonville – Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
  9. 9) Green Bay – Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.
  10. 10) San Francisco – Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn St.
  11. 11) Buffalo – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St.
  12. 12) Denver – B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
  13. 13) Washington – Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

So with three offensive tackle prospects dropping off the board in the top ten, the Redskins are projected to select workout monster defensive end Brian Orakpo, out of Texas. Any multiple award winner who Mack Brown claims to be scared of, even jokingly, is okay by me.

Here’s The Orakpo File, from Texas Football’s website.

Nickname: Rak
My playing style: Too fast for your eyes
The record I dream of breaking is: All-time sacks
Favorite book: Of Mice and Men
Favorite sports movie: The Longest Yard
The worst movie I ever saw was: Like Mike
Favorite Actor: Robert DeNiro
Favorite Actress: Halle Berry
I can’t believe I watch: Big Love
Favorite CD: Lil’ Wayne: Tha Carter II
I’d like to star in a music video with: Beyonce
Favorite car: My Cadillac DeVille
My dream as a college football player is to: Win the Heisman Trophy as a defensive end
If I were to play another sport it would be: Basketball and baseball

I can’t believe he watches Big Love either, mainly because I find that show mind-shatteringly dull, but it’s tough to argue with Like Mike as worst movie of all time. Then again, I’ve never seen the sequel — Like Mike 2: Streetball! — but I suspect that it’s even worse. I also can’t believe that he orders steak medium-well, but I’m really trying not to judge people based on that.

From what I’ve seen so far — his stats, some highlights, and the SportsCenter profile above, mainly — this would be a good use of the first-round pick.

Tags: , , , , ,